Everyone says “We’re Pregnant!” but often times it doesn’t so much feel like “we” at all. It’s mom who is tired, dealing with aches and swelling, and nausea. Usually your partner wants to be involved, but it’s hard to feel like a part of the pregnancy when you’re not the one carrying baby!
Here are some ways to get your partner involved in your pregnancy so they feel included, and you feel supported-
- Make your Birth Plan Together- Yes, one of you is going to be doing most of the work, but it’s important that your partner understands your wishes and is ready to advocate for you. Brew some good tea, sit down and discuss what you’d like medically and emotionally to get you through labor.
- Attend a Class Together- Most local hospitals offer birth classes and classes on infant care. Attending together can be a fun bonding experience. Nothing like watching both of you try to swaddle a plastic doll for some good laughs!
- Ask for some Pampering- Ask your partner for a massage! Legs and feet can be achy and swollen. basq NYC Cooling Body Bliss is perfect to reduce swelling and soothe discomfort. Rub upwards starting at the calves for maximum relief.
- Take a Babymoon- Take time to nurture your relationship with a trip together before baby comes. It doesn’t have to be elaborate- a simple weekend stay in a hotel where mom can feel pampered for a few days can do wonders for your sanity. Just remember to check with your doctor before you travel, and be aware of any travel advisories that may affect your plans.
- Write Letters to Baby Together- When I was pregnant we started a family journal to the baby. Everyone wrote letters to baby talking about how excited we were and our hopes for the future. It’s sweet to have that to look back on and capture the excitement of waiting for your baby.
- Don’t Forget Self Care- Some women feel fantastic when they’re pregnant, others may need a little extra TLC to feel beautiful in their pregnancy. Buy yourself some cute maternity jeans, get a pedicure (who can reach their feet over that belly?) and invest in good pregnancy skin care. basq NYC 9 Month Stretch Essentials has everything you need for proper care of that stretching belly.
- Nest Together- Putting together your nursery is fun and helps you feel like you’re preparing for baby together. Assemble some furniture, get out those paint rollers, and make your nursery a beautiful space together.
- Get Moving Together- Light exercise helps blood flow, and reduces stress! But it’s much easier to get moving with a partner. Go for a walk together, take a light swim and cool off, or try some stretching or yoga. Just remember to hydrate well and check with your doctor to make sure exercise is safe for your pregnancy.
- Don’t Forget Date Night!- You may be tired, and a crowded bar or restaurant is the last place you want to be. That doesn’t mean you have to give up date night- just mix it up! Maybe you go for a brunch date, or to a movie, or to the pool. Anything can be a date if you’re spending time together.
- Have them Create Something for Baby- Maybe your partner is handy and wants to build something for baby’s room. Perhaps your partner loves photography and wants to do a pregnancy photo shoot. My husband loves music, so he spent hours pulling together a relaxing playlist of music to play during labor.